Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Incredible India

Oh, India.  You are a country like no other. You are smelly, dirty, either too cold or too hot, but there is something about you that keeps making me want to go back.

Todd and I spent a week in India.  Left Dubai on Christmas night and returned on the 1st.  This trip was very different from when I spent a summer there in college doing missions.  Here are a few differences....the summer I was there, the temperature was over 100 degrees, I wore no make up nor did I ever fix my hair, I wore local clothes, sat on dirty slum house floors to teach my students, huddled around the A/C unit in my room to cool off, and walked or rode in rickshaws around town.  This time, the temperature was too cold for my liking (especially coming from Dubai, where I have no winter clothes), we had a driver who took us everywhere, ate at decent restaurants, and huddled around the space heater to get warm in our hotel.  I also noticed Muslim influences in Indian culture so much more where I only saw Hinduism before (amazing how spending a few months in a Muslim country changes your context of seeing things).


In Agra at the Taj Mahal.  It was so foggy when we first got there, but most of the fog finally lifted and we got a few good pics.  I love the love story behind the Taj. (Look it up if you don't know it!)

At the base of the Taj Mahal.  

We did ride a few rickshaws!

Elephant ride through town.

In Jaipur at the Amber Fort.  Such pretty hills and mountains surrounding this fort.
I love that I got to experience India again, and this time with Todd. And I have a feeling it won't be our last trip to India!

1 comment:

Jess said...

YAY! We loved it too. Something about it that is contagious. So glad you got to go back!